July 24, 2019
Lead Solar Installer - SLC
By Caitie Reichel
Send Resumes to: Caitie.reichel@CEsolar.com
Overview of Position
The Lead Solar Installer is part of a team of solar craftsman who build renewable energy systems throughout the Salt Lake region. As a Lead Installer you are a key part of the team who has the autonomy to direct the installation of the highest quality roof and ground mounted solar arrays. Creative Energies works on a range of projects from small residential to utility scale commercial. The Lead Installer will work on all of these and through excellent leadership and attention to detail they will help the whole team achieve success with each project. This position demands creativity and hard work and provides the rewards of meaningful hands on accomplishments and learning.
Reporting Structure and Interaction
The Lead Solar Installer is supervised by and reports to the Operations Team regarding schedule, logistics and construction details. Lead Installers interact closely with all install team members, electricians, customers and sales team as needed. They directly supervise and lead the install crew on the job site.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Project Installation (85% of Time)
- Responsible for the accurate construction of solar project and coordination with the electrician crew to build functional solar power systems according to specified designs and make onsite construction decisions
- Able to read construction documents including oneline electrical drawings, construction prints and layout drawings
- Understands and can apply relevant building, electrical, and fire code requirements to a project
- Provides guidance and leadership to installation crew on the job
- Participates as a team member on solar installations and service work
- Seeks project details prior to loading and departing for projects
- Works directly with customers as needed at the time of installation
- Delegates and communicates installation tasks to team members
- Communicates and reports project updates and team performance to Operations Team
- Loads and secures project materials and tools in company trucks and trailers
- Supervises site safety on all projects: Understands and follows safety procedures and helps other team members to stay safe
- Assures that job sites are clean, orderly and makes sure that all jobsite waste is recycled or properly disposed
- Facilitates pre-project planning and post-project debriefings for the install crew
- Performs service calls, including system diagnosis and repair; works with technical support services as needed
Project Management and Administration (10% of the Time)
- Participates in active communication between the Installation Team and Operations Team
- Perform pre-installation site visits
- May assist in gathering and submitting permit information
- Assembles and records project documentation and effectively uses our web based project software.
Other Areas of responsibility (5% of the Time)
- Shop organization and maintenance projects at Creative Energies' office location
- Minor repairs or maintenance of vehicles
- Order or purchase equipment, supplies or tools for projects as needed
- Solar specific training coursework
- Assist Installers with training and meeting their responsibilities
- Check email and update project tracking tools daily
Work Schedule and Travel:
This is a full-time position; Installers work 40-hour weeks, often as four 10-hour days, with some adjustments made in the winter months.
- Project work will occur throughout the greater Salt Lake City area with occasional work beyond our metro area. Majority of your work will be done in the local area as day-trips.
- Approximately 1 week per month of travel, average
- Travel time is paid. Travel, hotel, and meal costs are covered by Creative Energies.
The Lead Solar Installer receives relevant and diverse training to become a skilled and well rounded solar installer. Hard work and motivation are rewarded and support for education towards national certification as a solar installer is available. Advancement opportunity exists to become a Commercial Lead Installer for large commercial and utility installations, or to begin a career as a licensed electrician: becoming an apprentice and moving towards a Journeyman Electrician.
- Demonstrated understanding of solar array layout and design
- Demonstrated understanding of electricity, solar electric systems, and wire management
- Prepared and tolerant to work outdoors year round in all weather conditions
- A solid understand of jobsite safety, OSHA rules related to construction work and ability to establish site specific safety plans
- Previous experience in electrical, construction, photovoltaic, or roofing
- Comfortable and competent to work on roofs, ladders, in attics, and around excavation sites safely and efficiently
- A positive member of a team and clear communication skills
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds
- Interest and enthusiasm for solar power technology
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- NABCEP certification
- Experience in leadership roles
- Relevant construction experience including equipment operation (forklifts, mini-excavators, skid steers, or man-lifts)
- Demonstrated ability to use solar test tools(digital multimeter, irradiance meter, and IR temp sensor)
Creative Energies is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law. We encourage women and individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply.