Aug. 23, 2021
Lead Solar Installer - Salt Lake City, UT
By Creative Energies
Position Title: Lead Solar Installer
Base Location: SLC
Compensation Range: $23+/hour depending on experience
Classification: Full Time
Overview of CE:
Creative Energies is a community of adventurous solar craftspeople who care deeply about the work we do and our impact on the environment. We are engaged in our communities, live outdoor lifestyles, and strive for a healthy life-work balance. Creative Energies is devoted to the mountain regions in which we work, live, and play. We take pride in the work we do and are driven to continually learn and improve. Our people are our most important asset. We hire and choose our co-workers carefully. We continually strive to do our best work, serve our customers well, and have some fun while doing it.
Summary of Position:
The Lead Solar Installer is part of a team of solar craftspeople who build renewable energy systems throughout their local office area. The Lead Installer is a key part of the team who has the autonomy to direct the installation of the highest quality roof and ground mounted solar arrays. Creative Energies works on a range of projects from small residential to utility scale commercial. The Lead Installer will work on all of these and through excellent leadership and attention to detail they will help the whole team achieve success with each project.
Project Installation (85% of Time)
- Responsible for the accuracy and quality of construction of solar projects and coordination with the electrical crew to build functional solar power systems according to specified designs
- Make onsite construction decisions, as needed and document any changes
- Provides guidance and leadership to installation crew on the job for safety and installation.
- Communicates and reports project progress/updates to Project Team and customers
- Supervises site safety on all projects: Understands and follows safety procedures and helps other team members to stay safe
- Practices excellent customer service skills
Project Management and Administration (10% of the Time)
- Perform pre-installation site visits
- Assembles and records project documentation and effectively uses our web-based project software.
- Assures the quality of project installation
Other Areas of responsibility (5% of the Time)
- Shop organization and maintenance projects at Creative Energies' office location
- Minor repairs or maintenance of vehicles
- Order or purchase equipment, supplies or tools for projects as needed
- Solar specific training coursework
- Assist Installers with training and meeting their responsibilities
- Check email and update project tracking tools daily
- Provide support to service as needed
- Demonstrated understanding of solar array layout and design
- Demonstrated understanding of electricity, solar electric systems, and wire management
- Prepared and tolerant to work outdoors year-round in all weather conditions
- A solid understand of jobsite safety, OSHA rules related to construction work and ability to establish site specific safety plans
- Previous experience in solar
- Comfortable and competent to work on roofs, ladders, in attics, and around excavation sites safely and efficiently
- A positive member of a team and clear communication skills
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Experience in leadership roles
- Relevant construction experience including equipment operation (forklifts, mini-excavators, skid steers, or man-lifts)
- Demonstrated ability to use solar test tools (digital multimeter, irradiance meter, and IR temp sensor)
- NABCEP certification
The Lead Solar Installer receives relevant and diverse training to become a skilled and well-rounded solar installer. Hard work and motivation are rewarded and support for education towards national certification as a solar installer is available.
Travel and Work schedule:
Solar Installers, Service Technicians and Electricians work 40-hour weeks. Time spent traveling to project sites or to other Creative Energies office locations is paid time. Our field work is often scheduled as four 10-hour days per week, with some adjustments made in the winter months. Hours worked in excess of 40 per week are compensated at time-and-a-half.
- Project work will occur throughout the greater Salt Lake City area with occasional work beyond our metro area. The majority of your work will be done in the local area, as day-trips.
- Overnight travel on occasions, as needed.
- Travel time is paid. Travel, hotel, and meal costs are covered by Creative Energies. Each night spent away from home for project construction is compensated with a $40 on-the-road bonus.
Creative Energies offers a full suite of benefits including Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance; Simple IRA with 3% Employer Match; Paid Time Off (14 days in Year 1 + 4 Paid Holidays); Cell Phone Reimbursement, and more. A waiting period may apply for some benefits.
The Lead Solar Installer is supervised by and reports to the Construction Team Manager and Project Manager regarding schedule, logistics and construction details. Lead Solar Installers interact closely with all install team members, electricians, customers and sales team as needed. They directly supervise and lead the install crew on the job site.
Creative Energies is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.