Sept. 28, 2021
Solar Designer / Drafter
By Creative Energies
Position Title: Solar Designer / Drafter
Base Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Classification: Full Time
Compensation: $22-24 per hour based on experience
Overview of Creative Energies:
Creative Energies is a community of adventurous solar craftspeople who care deeply about the work we do and our impact on the environment. We are engaged in our communities, live outdoor lifestyles, and strive for a healthy life-work balance. Creative Energies is devoted to the mountain regions in which we work, live, and play. We take pride in the work we do and are driven to continually learn and improve. Our people are our most important asset. We hire and choose our Team Members carefully. We continually strive to do our best work, serve our customers well, and have some fun while doing it.
Summary of Position:
The Solar Designer / Drafter is a member of the design team at Creative Energies. We strive to develop all plan sets in house, and this position would play an integral role in that mission. The work that Creative Energies pursues is just that: Creative. From small off-grid systems to medium voltage utility scale systems, the design team develops and drafts the plan sets. With this wide range of work the design team works very collaboratively amongst itself and with the other teams at the company. The Solar Designer / Drafter will be focused on generating drawings for permitting and construction based on input from the Design Team Lead and working towards completing basic system plan sets independently. Problem solving, adaptability, and teamwork are key strengths, and AutoCAD experience is a must.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Design (85% of time):
- Generate full plan sets and component drawings
- Draft plan set sheets in AutoCAD
- Ensure accuracy and completeness
- Critically assess for buildability and code compliance
- Interpret directions from sales team and design team lead into drawings
- Follow design team standards for process, equipment, and drafting
- Perform calculations for conductor and conduit sizing, OCPD ratings
- Generate plaque schedule
- Participate in design team problem solving and process development
- Collaborate with the design and project teams
- Utilize manufacturer software to generate configurators and BOMs
Technical Support (10% of time):
- Provide support to Project, Installation and Procurement Teams
Training and Professional Development (5% of time):
- Maintain knowledge of current Code requirements and industry best practices
- Stay current with evolving technologies
- Complete renewable energy specific training and workshops.
- AutoCAD experience required
- Strong communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Solution oriented
- Ability to multitask
- Hands on PV installation experience preferred
- PV System design experience preferred
- Valid Driver’s License
- Bachelor or Associate’s degree
- NABCEP Associate Credential or equivalent knowledge of electrical principles, photovoltaic systems, and NEC requirements
Travel and Work schedule:
Our Design Team works with our office team member schedule which is typically Mon-Fri 8a-5p; flexible schedules (including remote work) will be discussed with the supervisor and coordinated with other team members. Occasional travel including out-of-state and overnight will be needed for training, team member meetings and to support Creative Energies team operations.
Creative Energies offers a full suite of benefits including Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance; Simple IRA with 3% Employer Match; Paid Time Off (14 days in Year 1 + 4 Paid Holidays); Cell Phone Reimbursement, and more. A waiting period may apply for some benefits.
Reports to: The Solar Designer / Drafter reports to the Design Team Lead.
Creative Energies is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.