Sept. 24, 2021
By Creative Energies
Position Title: Solar Installer
Classification: Full Time
Location: 455 West 1700 South Salt Lake City, UT
Compensation: $18-20/per hour based on experience
Overview of Creative Energies:
Creative Energies is a community of adventurous solar craftspeople who care deeply about the work we do and our impact on the environment. We are engaged in our communities, live outdoor lifestyles, and strive for a healthy life-work balance. Creative Energies is devoted to the mountain regions in which we work, live, and play. We take pride in the work we do and are driven to continually learn and improve. Our people are our most important asset. We hire and choose our co-workers carefully. We continually strive to do our best work, serve our customers well, and have some fun while doing it.
Summary of Position:
The Solar Installer is part of a team of solar craftspeople who build renewable energy systems throughout their local office area. They are a key part of the team that is responsible for the hands-on construction and installation of solar equipment on roofs and ground-mounted solar arrays. Creative Energies works on a range of projects from small residential to utility-scale commercial and the Solar Installer will work on all of these.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Project Installation (85% of Time)
- Participates as a team member on solar installations; communicates respectfully and clearly with all team members.
- Seeks project details prior to loading and departing for projects
- Loads and secures project materials and tools in trucks and on trailer for complete project installation
- Understands and follows safety procedures and regulations at all project sites
- Works directly with customers as needed, often at the time of installation
- Constructs top-quality solar installations including racking, wiring, and paneling
- Assures that job sites are clean and orderly and makes sure the job site waste is sorted for appropriate recycling and disposed of properly
- Performs service calls, including system diagnosis and repair
Project Management and Administration (5% of the Time)
- Performs pre-installation site visits for information gathering/project preparation
- May assist in gathering and submitting permit information
- Assembles and completes project documentation
- Participates in active communication between the installation team and Project Team
Other Areas of responsibility (10% of the Time)
- Shop organization and maintenance projects at Creative Energies' office location
- Minor repairs or maintenance of vehicles and tools
- Order or purchase minor equipment, supplies or tools for projects as needed
- Solar specific training coursework, which may include electricity basics
- Check email and update project tracking tools daily
- Prepared and tolerant to work outdoors year-round in all weather conditions
- Previous relevant construction experience and general construction skills, knowledge of the use of tools and methods
- Comfortable and competent to work on roofs, ladders, in attics, and around excavation sites safely and efficiently
- A positive member of a team and clear communication skills;
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds
- Interest and enthusiasm for solar power technology
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Experience in solar installation or electrical work
High school diploma or equivalent. Associate's or Bachelor's degree preferred.
Solar installers will receive relevant on-the-job training to become a skilled solar installer. Hard work and motivation are rewarded and support for education towards national certification as a solar installer is available. Advancement opportunity exists to become a Lead Installer and to begin a career as a licensed electrician by becoming an apprentice and moving towards a Journeyman Electrician.
Travel and Work schedule:
Solar Installers work 40-hour weeks. Time spent traveling to project sites or to other Creative Energies office locations is paid time. Our fieldwork is often scheduled as four 10-hour days per week, with some adjustments made in the winter months. Hours worked in excess of 40 per week are compensated at time-and-a-half.
Project work will occur throughout the greater Salt Lake City area with occasional work beyond our metro area. The majority of your work will be done in the local area, as day-trips.
- Salt Lake City:
- Project work will occur throughout the greater Salt Lake City area with occasional work beyond our metro area. The majority of your work will be done in the local area, as day-trips.
- Overnight travel on occasions, as needed.
- Work schedule is dependent on volume of work and seasonally variable given weather limitations.
- Travel time is paid. Travel, hotel, and meal costs are covered by Creative Energies. Each night spent away from home for project construction is compensated with a $40 on-the-road bonus.
The Solar Installer is supervised by and reports to the Installation Coordinator regarding schedule and logistics; however takes direction and follows instructions from Lead Solar Installer and/or the Installation Coordinator, while on the job to ensure safety, installation accuracy and project documentation. Installers interact closely with install team members, electricians, customers, and sales team when needed.
Progression, Training, and Advancement:
Solar Installers without prior solar experience begin as Apprentice Solar Installers and advance through on-the-job training to be Solar Installers and potentially to be Lead Installers. Opportunities may exist to enroll in our Electrical Apprentice program to train to be an electrician.
Creative Energies offers a full suite of benefits including Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance; Simple IRA with 3% Employer Match; Paid Time Off (14 days in Year 1 + 4 Paid Holidays); Cell Phone Reimbursement, and more. A waiting period may apply for some benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employment:
Creative Energies is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity orexpression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.